Health Benefits of Kiwifruit
This amazing fruit needs no introduction. It contains more vitamin C when compared to an equivalent amount of orange. The bright green/golden flesh of the kiwifruit having tiny black seeds in it distributed wonderfully adds a dramatic tropical flair to any fruit salad. California kiwifruit is available November through May, while the New Zealand kiwi hits the market June through October making fresh kiwis available throughout year.
How and why Kiwifruit can aid in making you healthy?
- Kiwifruit are major source of vitamin C (an essential element needed for the growth and repair of tissues in all parts of your body): While oranges have a deserved reputation as valuable sources of vitamin C, but crown is with kiwifruit. In fact kiwifruit has almost double Vitamin C when compared to oranges. You only need one kiwifruit each day to get your recommended daily intake of vitamin C.
- Kiwifruit is a great source of dietary fibers: Everybody knows how important fibers are for our health. Moreover, the fiber present in kiwifruit has also been found useful for a number of conditions. Researchers have found that diets that contain plenty of fiber can reduce high cholesterol levels, which may reduce the risk of heart disease and heart attack. Fibers are also great for removing toxins from the colon, thus preventing colon cancer. Kiwifruit also passed the food ranking test as a good source of the mineral potassium.
- Kiwifruit provide great Protection against Asthma: Eating kiwi has presented a significant protection against respiratory symptoms associated with asthma such as wheezing.
A study published in Thorax that followed over 18,000 children aged 6-7 years living in Central and Northern Italy found that the children consuming most citrus and kiwifruit (5-7 servings per week) had 44% less incidence of wheezing compared to children eating the least (less than once a week).
Children who had asthma, appeared to benefit the most, and protective effects were evident even among children who had the fruit only once or twice a week.
- Improves sleep quality: A study published in the Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that kiwi fruit consumption could significantly improve sleep quality in adults having sleep disorders.
- Aids in weight Loss: The reasons why kiwi fruits are so effective on weight loss are:
The alkaline protease of kiwi fruits can break protein intake down into small molecules of amino acids in order to facilitate the absorption of the body and to reduce body fat or visceral fat.
And the second reason is
Carnitine ingredient present in this fruit promote fat burning and converting excessive body fat into energy. The carnitine peaks at the age of 20 and later it begins to decline. Therefore, kiwi fruit is also a strong helper for weight loss.