How to cure dry eyes?
In Today’s time, majority of us and especially 71% of, Americans are having symptoms of Dry Eyes. This all is attributed to our changing lifestyles. We are spending most of our time in an artificial environment created by Man. Besides this,high exposure of digital screen is becoming a major reason for our Eye related problems.
But, You will say that these things have become a part of our life and are not avoidable. We understand this and will guide you in a way that will help you in maintaining a balance with these and making your life more Healthy.
After All, HEALTH is WEALTH.
Now, Let us come to the points, Dry Eyes also known as Dry Eye Syndrome(DES), occurs when tears are not providing enough lubrication for our eyes. It may cause too much discomfort and produce several signs and symptoms.
When your eyes our healthy, and tears are produced at good level and of good quality, It keeps the surface of eyes clean, hydrated, well lubricated as it washes away all the dust from the eyes itself and protect your eyes from infection and other problems.
But, When your eyes are getting dried, and you are experiencing feelings such as irritation, burning, itchiness, and sometimes may experience redness. Then you may have Dry Eye Syndrome.
In some cases, when proper care is not taken for long time, It may lead to more severe deseases.
Here, We will share with you some HOME REMEDIES, Which will make your condition better with time. We all know that Body heals itself, But only, If we take care of it.
DRY EYES SYMPTOMS
Dryness in eyes is a common problem these days. There are many symptoms of Dry Eyes. Such as:-
- A burning feeling in Eyes.
- A feeling like sand got stuck in Eyes.
- Eyes feel discomfort, when exposed to smoke or wind or light.
- Redness in Eyes.
- A stringy, mucus type liquid around the Eyes.
- Blurry Vision.
- Feeling uncomfortable ,when wearing Contact Lenses.
- Fatigued Eyes.
- Pain in Eyes.
- Sensitivity towards light.
Dry Eye Causes
Dry Eyes are caused by a lack of adequate tears. Eyes are a mixture of water, fatty oils, and mucus. Which helps to keep them smooth and clear and also protects them from infection.
The causes of Dry Eyes are:-
- Windy or Dry Air.
- Too much Cold Weather or Environment.
- Wearing frequently or continuously Contact Lenses.
- Staring at digital screens as computers, tablets, mobiles, and other gadgets for long time.
- Not enough blinking of eyes.
- Some medications such as, Birth Control Pills, Drugs, Anti Depressants.
- Lasik Eye Surgery.
- Hormonal changes.
- Deficiency of Vitamins.
- Poor Immune system.
- Thyroid Disorders , Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lupus.
- Sleeping Pills.
- Air Conditioners (A.C.).
- During pregnancy.
These are the main causes of Dry Eyes. So, here are some Home Remedies, Which will help in protecting your Eyes from Dry Eyes Syndrome.
HOME REMEDIES OF DRY EYES
Eyes are a very important part of our body and this problem of Dry Eyes can interfere our life very badly. A person who suffers from Dry Eyes cannot do his works on time. So, It would be best for you, If you will get rid of this problem at early stage. This could protect your Eyes. Here are some Home Remedies for Dry Eyes:-
- WASHING EYELASHES OR EYELIDS:- Dry Eyes discomfort make you feel irritated and initially we start rubbing our eyes. Rubbing of eyes should be avoided. For this, You can wash your Eyelids and Eyelashes. Take some drops of baby shampoo on your washed fingertips. Now, keep your eyes close and slowly rub your eyelashes with shampoo and rinse it properly. You can do this twice a day.Make sure shampoo does not get into your eyes.
- FLAXSEED OIL:- Flaxseed Oil is rich in Omega-3 called Alpha Linolenic Acid (ALA). During digestion process, ALA is converted into two different Omega-3 fatty acids, called EPA and DHA , that are used throughout the body to protect cell membranes. Its supplements are available in capsules and liquid forms. You can also use cold-pressed flaxseed oil and keep it in refrigerator because the nutritional values of oil can be easily destroyed by light and heat.
- CASTOR OIL:- Castor Oil is an anti-inflammatory and is used for making anti-inflammatory Eye Drops. It contains powerful fatty acids and other anti-oxidants that are useful for eyes. Use 100% organic Castor Oil and Cold pressed .It works best for eyes. It also helps to reduce the symptoms of dry eyes. You can use this oil as eye drops. Simply, take a dropper and place one drop of Castor Oil in both eyes. Do this, twice a day to keep your eyes moisturized.
- COCONUT OIL:- Coconut oil contains many fatty acids. Use Virgin Coconut oil for Eyes. It can act as a rewetting agent for eyes and can reduce the symptoms of Dry Eyes. It also helps to reduce the tear evaporation. It also has anti – inflammatory properties that helps in the discomfort caused by Dry Eyes. For this, Simply soak a cotton ball in coconut oil and place it on your Eyelids for 10 to 15 minutes. You can do this twice a day.
- BLINKING EYES EXERCISE:- Blinking of Eyes is very important for healthy eyes. Especially, When you are using Computer or Mobiles. Regular blinking increases the flow of tears, Which helps to moisten the eyes and spread them to the sides of eyes. It helps to reduce the problem of Dry Eyes. Blinking of Eyes is also very good for blood circulation and Eyestrain. It keeps the eyes clear and gives a smooth surface to the eyes. For exercise:-
- Close your Eyes and take some pause for 5 seconds.
- Then squeeze your eyelids and take pause for again 5 seconds.
- And Finally, Open your eyes and relax.
This will really help you in Dry Eye Syndrome problem. And if you are working on computer, then make sure that you blink regularly, and after every 20 to 30 minutes, take some break from computer to relax your eyes. Repeat it throughout your work time.
- HOT COMPRESS:- Hot Compress works great in Dry Eyes problem. Take a cotton cloth and soak it in warm water and wring out the excess water. Now, hold this cloth on your closed eyelids for at least 10 to 15 minutes. When the cloth gets cool, rewet the cloth. Then wash your eyes with lukewarm water. Do this twice a day to relax your eyes.
- EAT MEALS RICH IN VITAMINS AND OMEGA-3:- One of the reasons behind Dry Eyes is due to a lack of fatty acids and vitamins. It helps to reduce the inflammation in the body and stimulates tear production. Some research has found that omega-3 fatty acids have a positive role for Dry Eye Syndrome. So, Include foods which are rich in vitamins and omega-3 in your daily diet. Vitamin A and D both are very beneficial for Eyes. Sources of these are:- Fish Oils, Flaxseed Oil, Almonds, Sesame seeds, Walnuts, Dairy Products, Cereals, Soy Milk, Cheese, Carrot, Sweet Potato, Spinach, Fruit like Mango, Guava, Watermelon and Apricot.
- DO NOT WEAR CONTACT LENSES:- If you are wearing Contact Lenses since long time, then please STOP! It is a common cause of Dry Eye Syndrome. A research has found that 25 % of people who wear Contact Lenses develops Dry Eyes symptoms. Contact Lenses’s thin material on your retina obstructing oxygen from your eyes. Even modern days Lenses, being designed to give oxygen to permeate the eye, but you can still experience dry eyes symptoms. So, It would be better, if you will stop wearing Contact Lenses. Or, Use them occasionally to protect your eyes.
- QUIT SMOKING:- If you smokes, then please QUIT IT. Smoking is injurious in any way to your body. For Eyes, Its smoke cause dry spots to develop on the surfaceof the eyes, when eyelids are open. It also increases the risk of getting Glaucoma.
- AVOID EYE-MAKEUP:- For Women, it is very important that if you have Dry Eye Syndrome, then you should avoid eye makeup. Eye makeup can have harbor bacteria. It can cause infection to them. Do light eye makeup, And if you cannot live without eye makeup, then please remove your eye makeup every night.
- HUMIDIFIERS:- Humidifiers can produce more moisture in the air. It will help your eyes feel refreshed and comfortable. Especially, in dry desert area. If you don’t have humidifier, then you can place a pot of water on sim on the stove. The water will evaporate through the day and adds moisture into the air. It will really help you.
- AVOID AIR CONDITIONERS (A.C):- In Dry Eye Syndrome, You should avoid using air-conditioners, Because its air also decreases the humidity in the air.
- WEAR SUNGLASSES:- Always wear sunglasses, when you are going in sun.It will help to reduce evaporation of moisture from eyes.
- DRINK MORE WATER:- Mainly our tears are made up of water. So, it is important to drink more water. It saves us from dehydration and dryness of eyes. Especially, during hot weather. It can reduce the symptoms of dry eyes.
- TAKE REGULAR BREAKS FROM COMPUTERS:- If you are working on computer continuously, then follow the rule of ‘20 – 20’. After every 20 minutes of working, take a break for 5 minutes to relax your eyes. Position your Monitor at 300 below your eye level. Like the way you are looking down towards it and half of your eyes are closed. It will really help you.
- WEAR SWIMMING GOGGLES:- Wear Swimming Goggles, Otherwise you will suffer from the drying effect of Chlorine.
- CUCUMBER:- Take thin slices of Cucumber and place it on closed eyelids for 10 to 15 minutes. It will relax and refreshes your eyes.
- HONEY:- Honey has numerous benefits for health, skin and eyes. It helps to reduce Dry Eye symptoms. Simply make an eye wash with honey and warm water and wash them thoroughly. You can do this before sleeping. You can also directly pour honey in your eyes. It will give you the best results.
- KEEP BLINKING:- Keep blinking to moisten eyes, especially when you are using a Computer, Mobiles, Watching T.V. or Reading Books. It provides you natural lubrication.
- USE BLUE CUT GLASSES:- The Blue light produced by Sun, Computer, T.V., and other Gadgets has very much energy than other lights . The excess of these is a reason for Dry Eye Syndrome. You can protect your eyes by using blue cut glasses. An ordinary anti-glass glasses are helpful to reduce eyestrain and improves vision. But, blue cut glasses have a special coating which blocks the blue light from visible light from reaching your eyes. This can reduce your dry eye problem. We hope that the remedies mentioned above will help you in relieving your Dry Eye problem and enable you in keeping your eyes healthy.